Tofu & Shitake Mushroom Stir Fry
This is a simple, but very satisfying mushroom stir fry. You can easily substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock to make it completely vegetarian/vegan if desired.
Ingredients: (Makes 4 Servings)
1 cup Dried Shitake Mushrooms, reconstituted
1 cup Bamboo Shoots
¼ lb Snow Peas
2 tbsp Oil
¼ cup Chicken Stock
½ tsp Salt
2 tbsp Oil
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
½ tsp Sugar
½ tsp Sesame Oil
1lb Firm Tofu
1. Drain tofu as follows: Put it between two plates. Weight the top one down with canned goods, and let sit for 30 minutes. Discard the drained liquid and cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes.
2. Slice bamboo shoots and mushrooms. Cut the stems off of the snow peas.
3. Add oil to your pan over medium-high heat. Add salt, then snow peas, and stir-fry until bright green (less than 1 minute). Remove from pan.
4. Saute the tofu, turning it frequently, until it develops a brown crust on all sides. Remove from pan & reserve.
5. Heat remaining oil. Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots; stir-fry to coat with oil.
6. Add soy sauce, sugar and stock and heat quickly. Then simmer, covered, for 3 minutes.
7. Return snow peas and tofu to the pan. Stir-fry only to reheat. Drizzle in the sesame oil. Serve over rice.