Ling Cod, Spanish Style
Savory, tangy, earthy, fruity (but not too sweet), this dish is filling, but not heavy. Really delightful, this recipe was a staff favorite during the shoot.
Wine Pairing: Viognier
Ingredients: Makes 4 Servings
1lb of Ling Cod, skinned & boned
Blend Chile Powder Recipe
1lb Fingerling Potatoes, halved lengthwise
1 Shallot, Sliced
¼ cup Dry White Vermouth
16oz Jarred Tomatoes
1 Orange, cut into Supremes (how to cut citrus supremes)
1 Jar Roasted Red Peppers, drained & cut into thin strips (julienne)
¼ cup Arbequina Olives
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Additional Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Garnish
Toasted Crusty Bread
Optional: Hot Chile Hot Sauce Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Cut the ling cod into four 4oz portions.
- Lightly crust the cod portions with chile powder & lay them into a hot oiled skillet over high heat.
- Sear the cod, turning as necessary, until cooked through.
- Put the fingerling potatoes in a wide, oiled heavy skillet, cut-side down. Sprinkle them with a half tsp of salt. Fry them, turning as necessary, until browned.
- Move the potatoes to a baking dish & roast them in the oven until cooked through (5-10 minutes).
- When the cod has cooked, remove it from the pan and add the sliced shallot. Cook until the shallot slices brown, then deglaze the pan with the vermouth.
- Simmer until the vermouth has evaporated, then pour in the tomatoes (with their juice) along with the sliced roasted red pepper, orange supremes, arbequina olives & 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Simmer until the tomato juice mixture has reduced by half.
- Plate the ling cod pieces in shallow bowls with the potatoes. Pour some of the tomato sauce around & over them. Drizzle with a little bit of the hot sauce & extra virgin olive oil. Serve with toasted crusty bread.