White Wine & Saffron Steamed Mussels
Makes 4 Servings
This simple dish is earthy and sweet with a hint of brine… a luxurious twist on the traditional mussels mariniere recipe.
- 1 pinch Iranian Sargol Saffron Threads (you could substitute Spanish Saffron)
- ½ cup White Wine
- 1 Shallot, Finely Chopped
- 1.5lb Live Mussels (live Maine mussels depicted), soaked in flour water (how to prep mussels)
- 1 Leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- Lemon juice, freshly squeezed, to taste
- Salt to taste
Steep the saffron threads in the white wine for 15 minutes.
Put the lid on the pot and let steam until the mussels open. Discard any mussels that refuse to open.
Season the broth with salt & lemon juice to taste.
Serve the mussels in a large bowl with the veggies and saffron broth. It’s great with crusty French bread on the side.