Gin, Pepper & Blueberry Shrub Cocktail
Makes 1 Cocktail (plus extra syrup)
Fruity, tangy, and aromatic, this cocktail is topped with sparkling wine to make it a bit lighter & fizzy.
- Raw Sugar Base Syrup:
- 1 cup Raw (Demerara) Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Black Pepper Syrup:
- ½ cup Raw Sugar Simple Syrup (save the extra for other recipes)
- 1 tbsp Black Peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 1/2oz Gin (we used Voyager)
- 1/2oz Blueberry Shrub
- Light 1/2oz Black Pepper Syrup
- Light 1/4oz Lemon Juice
- Brut Sparkling White Wine
- 12 Blueberries, Twist of Lime Zest
Make the base syrup: combine the raw sugar & water in a small saucepan. Heat the water to a simmer, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
Take a half cup of the resulting syrup and bring it to a simmer in a separate pot. Add the peppercorns and simmer 5-10 minutes, until you like the intensity of the flavor.
You can reserve the extra raw sugar syrup for other recipes, or multiply the pepper syrup recipe to use it all up.
Combine in a mixing tin the gin, blueberry shrub, pepper syrup, lemon juice.
Shake with ice to chill & combine.
Double-strain into a martini glass.
Top with sparkling wine.
Gently plop in the blueberries. Garnish with the lime zest & serve.
Recipe by Laura Bishop