Marinated Venison Kebabs with Cranberry Gastrique
These venison skewers are paired with roasted sherry vinegar shallots and sauteed wild mushrooms with butter and garlic. The hedgehog mushrooms will be nice and buttery with a hint of garlic, the venison will have a slight sourness from the vinegar coupled with a fruitiness from the gastrique. The shallots will be similarly fruity with a mild onion flavor.
One pack of venison kebabs (about 2.3 pounds)
6 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1 ½ cup light olive oil
¾ lb fresh mushrooms (fresh wild hedgehog mushrooms used here)
A half stick or more of unsalted butter
About 20 shallots
Also: Cranberry Sherry Gastrique
Grilled marinated venison kebabs:
1. Mix together sherry vinegar, oil, thyme, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt in a sealable container.
2. Add the venison kebabs and marinate in the fridge for one to five hours.
3. Remove the venison from the marinade and grill over high heat. Venison is extremely lean, and will cook quickly.
Serve with a gastrique on the side for dipping and roasted shallots and sauteed mushrooms as side dishes.
Roasted shallots in sherry vinegar:
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Peel shallots and separate into individual ‘cloves.’
3. Season with them with oil, salt, and pepper, then place in a roasting pan, baking dish or casserole seasoned with oil, salt and pepper.
4. Roast the shallots in the oven until they’ve begun to brown. Then add about 3/4ths cup of sherry vinegar.
5. Return to oven. Check periodically to make sure the shallots and vinegar don’t burn, adding more vinegar as needed. Each time give the pan a shake to help keep the shallots from sticking. When they are about half-way cooked through give them a turn. When finished they should be very tender and glazed with a burgundy colored sherry vinegar reduction.
Sauteed mushrooms in butter and garlic:
1. Hedgehogs are delicate, so rub the dirt off gently with your hands. If you prefer, water or a brush can be used, but you do risk damaging the mushrooms.
2. Melt butter in a pan, add mushrooms, as much finely diced garlic as you prefer and a pinch of salt. Saute until mushrooms have softened and cook down. Right before finishing melt in the remaining butter to gloss up the mushrooms and add richness.