Braised Short Rib
Makes 6 Servings
|Red Bordeaux or California Cabernet or Australian Shiraz|
This is a perfect example of how slow braising can take an affordable cut of meat like the humble short rib and raise it to meteoric heights. This braising liquid recipe uses both ultra-rich wine soaked vegetables and fresh un-soaked vegetables for a blend of intense and bright flavors. Wrapping the short ribs in cheesecloth prior to braising helps keep them pristine for a magazine-worthy final presentation.
This recipe is long, and has many ingredients, but it is not difficult and the results are spectacular.
- 2 1/2 lbs of Short Ribs (we particularly recommend Kobe beef short ribs).
- Braising Liquid:
- 1 + 1 1/2 cups Leeks, finely sliced
- 1 cup Celery, finely diced
- 1 + 2/3 cups Carrots, finely diced
- 1 + 1 cups of Onion, finely diced
- 6 sprigs of Fresh Parsley
- 6 + 3 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 2 + 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 + 2 cloves of Garlic, skin on & crushed
- 1 bottle of Red Wine (Cabernet or Malbec)
- ¾ of a cup of AP Flour
- 5 cups White Veal Stock (how to make white veal stock)
- Olive Oil
- Canola or Grapeseed Oil for searing
- Rapini Side Dish:
- 1 bunch of Rapini
- ½ clove of Garlic, minced
- Plus: Stuben Beans au Jus