Braised Beans & Bacon
Makes 12 Servings
This dish is bacony, herby and comforting. It’s mild enough to work as a side dish with almost anything, but hearty enough to work as a one-pot meal.
We’ve used three different bean varieties here for a more interesting blend of shapes and sizes, but you could use just one or two varieties instead.
- 2 cups dry Rice Beans
- 2 cups dry Giant Peruvian Lima Beans
- 2 cups dry Marrow Beans
- ½ lb Bacon, sliced into strips (lardons)
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 1 Onion, small diced
- ½ Leek, small diced
- ½ cup Celery, small diced
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled & small diced
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3 tsp + 3 pinches Salt for bean cooking water
- 1 bunch Fresh Marjoram, chopped
- ¼ cup Fennel Fronds, chopped
- ½ bunch Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, leaves picked & chopped
- ½ bunch Fresh Mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Rosemary Leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, chopped
- Fine Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Delicata Squash Seed Oil to finish
Gently reheat before serving. They’ll be even better the next day.