Alaskan Spot Prawn Salad
This salad is a great way to enjoy the tender, sweet meat of Alaskan spot prawns. Mixing the orange zest powder and guajillo chile powder together creates a vibrant orange and red coating that makes the cooked prawns a provocative color that catches the eye.
The chili/orange coating also adds a strong note of citrus with a fruity earthiness from the guajillo chilies. Despite their bright red color, the coated prawns are not actually spicy (though that can easily be changed by substituting other dried chile peppers). The arugula salad is citrusy, nutty, and rich, and therefore helps to cut the sweetness of the shrimp.
- 1 large handful of arugula per person
- 4-5 Alaskan spotted prawns per person
- 2 tablespoons lemon vinaigrette (shallots, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt)
- 1 tablespoon guajillo chile powder (or make your own from dried guajillo chilies – making your own chile powder)
- 1 tablespoon candied orange zest powder
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano
You can swap the guajillo peppers in your chili powder with other peppers to make the prawns more spicy. We recommend trying Chipotle Chilies for smoky heat, De Arbol Chilies for medium heat, or Thai Chilies for real fire. Of course, you could go all out and use Habanero Chilies or Ghost Peppers, but we’re not sure you’d still be able to taste the prawns!