Salt & Pepper Crab
Makes 4 Appetizer Servings or 1 Entree
|Riesling or Gewürztraminer|
Immensely satisfying – sweet, tender & delicious Dungeness crab briefly deep fried, then stir fried with ginger, garlic, scallions & other goodness. Just set the table with a crab cracker and a bib and go to work!
- 1 Whole Cooked Dungeness Crab
- 2 Shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch Scallions, sliced
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1″ Ginger, peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 bunch Fresh Cilantro, stems discarded
- 1/2 tsp minced Red Fresno Chile
- 1 gallon + 2 tbsp Peanut Oil
- Cornstarch to coat
Quarter & clean the crab (how to clean Dungeness crabs), but leave the shell on.
Heat the gallon of peanut oil in a stockpot to around 400 degrees.
Toss the crab pieces in cornstarch to coat.
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of peanut oil in a large frying pan or wok.
Fry the crab pieces in the stockpot of oil until golden brown.
While the crab is frying in the pot, stir fry the ginger, scallions, garlic, red fresno pepper, and shallots in the wok. Add the tamari & sugar.
Once the crab pieces have formed a crust (from the cornstarch), move them to the wok. Add the cilantro & black pepper. Toss & serve.