Roasted Heirloom Potatoes & Baby Carrots
Simple & satisfying, this recipe roasts potatoes with carrots for sweetness and garlic & rosemary for depth. The garlic ends up soft & sweet, so you can squeeze it out of its paper and mix it with your potatoes or spread it on bread. The perfect antidote to a dreary day or accompaniment to roast poultry.
You could, of course, use basic new potatoes, but we love the better flavor and cornucopia of bright colors that heirloom potatoes bring to the dish.
2. If any of the potatoes are significantly larger than the others, cut them in half, etc as needed to ensure all the pieces are roughly similar in size.
3. Add the carrots & potatoes to a large pot of cold salted water.
4. Bring to the water to a boil & cook for 5-7 minutes until the potatoes and carrots have softened.
5. Pour off the water and let them steam dry.
6. Toss the potatoes, carrots, garlic cloves, rosemary leaves, salt, pepper, and enough olive oil to coat. Then lay out on a baking dish in a single layer and roast until browned, about an hour.