How to Open an Oyster
(aka Shucking Oysters)
I’m sure you think that opening oysters is difficult, but it’s actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. In fact, I’ve taught a couple dozen people to open oysters…and, everyone (even the frail) has succesfully pulled it off…on their first try. If an 8 year-old can do it, so can you! Here’s how:
1. With a towel in hand (to protect your hand from the oyster knife), hold the oyster cupped-side down, with the hinge toward you.
2. Wedge an oyster knife into the hinge.
3. Use short twisting and prying movements to loosen the top shell from the bottom shell.
4. Rotate the oyster knife so that it is perpendicular to you and slide it under the top shell. Remove top shell.
5. Now, run the knife under the oyster to separate it from the bottom shell.
6. It is now ready to enjoy. Dress with a mignonette or slurp away.
Now that you’ve got your oysters open, check out our collection of oyster recipes.