Truffled Mushroom, Gruyere & Cheddar Mac n’ Cheese
Yes, this dish is just as luxurious, rich, and decadent as it sounds. Enjoy!
Instead of baking the whole batch in a large baking dish, as we have, you could also bake individual serving potions in ramekins.
Ingredients: Makes 8 Servings
1lb Gruyere, grated
1/2lb White Cheddar, grated
¼ cup minced Shallot
½ stick of Unsalted Butter
½ tsp Salt
6 Cremini Mushrooms, minced
2 Bay Leaves
1 1/2oz Truffle Sauce, plus extra, if desired, to taste
¼ cup All Purpose Flour
4 cups Whole Milk
1/2 tsp Truffle Salt (we used 5%)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Sherry Vinegar (we used Gran Reserva)
1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
½ cup chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Melt the half stick of butter in a deep sauce pan over Medium heat with the minced shallot & ½ tsp salt. “Sweat” the shallot, cooking it a slightly lower heat than sautéing, so it becomes tender without taking on color.
- After six to seven minutes, when the shallot has softened, add the mushrooms and bay leaves.
- When the liquid has come out of the mushrooms and they’re starting to brown, add the truffle sauce.
- When the mushrooms have browned, stir in the flour. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the flour starts to smell nutty.
- Whisk in the milk & cook, continuing to stir, until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in all the cheese except 1 cup of gruyere that you’ll reserve for the topping.
- Remove the bay leaves & taste for seasoning, adding one tablespoon of the sherry vinegar and additional truffle sauce if necessary.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil & stir in the penne. Boil until the penne is very al dente (still tougher than you’d want to eat it).
- Drain the pasta & stir it into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the pasta & sauce mixture into a buttered baking dish.
- Stir together the reserved gruyere, chopped parsley, remaining sherry vinegar and panko bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the panko topping over the pasta & sauce to create an even topping.
- Move the dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the macaroni & cheese from the oven. Let it cool on the counter for 15 minutes, then scoop portions out & serve.
Truffle Product Recipes