Pheasant Sausages w/ Pear Butter Mostarda
Specialty game sausages bring a lot of flavor to the table, but do benefit from a little bit of sauce, jus, or mustard. If you have artisanal jam and mustard handy, a mostarda-style sauce is just moments away.
While we’ve used pheasant sausages here, you could substitute a different variety – especially one based on other poultry, pork or wild boar.
Likewise, while this recipe cooks the sausages on the stove top, they would also be delicious grilled!
Ingredients: Makes 4 Servings
4 Pheasant Sausages with Cognac
1 tbsp Water
1 tsp Honey Wine Vinegar (could substitute other vinegar)
2 tbsp Pear Butter with Vanilla (could substitute other Pear Jam)
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard (we used Kozlik’s Double C Mustard)
1 pinch of Salt
1. Get the water hot in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages. Poke each sausage once or twice with a knife. Put the lid on the pan and let the water simmer for four minutes.
2. Flip the sausages, re-lid the pan, and continue to simmer for four minutes.
3. Remove the lid and let the water evaporate. Continue to cook the sausages to brown them, turning as necessary.
4. Make the Mostarda: Mix together the pear butter, mustard, salt and honey wine vinegar in a small bowl.
5. Serve the sausages with the mostarda and your side of choice (we used Midori Farm Dill & Caraway Kraut).