Merino lamb is leaner with a more delicate flavor than conventional lamb. Here we’ve paired it with a bright pesto made from almonds, herbs and citrus.
Wine Pairing: Cabernet Franc
Herb & Almond Pesto:
2. Butterfly the leg of lamb (cut horizontally down the middle without cutting all the way through, then open it up like a book).
Trim out any silver skin (how to remove silver skin) & season the meat with salt & pepper.
3. Get an oiled, oven safe frying pan, grill pan, or cast iron skillet hot on the stove and sear the leg meat over medium-high heat.
4. Once the bottom side has developed a nice brown crust, flip it over and move the pan to the oven to roast.
5. Roast the lamb until it reaches an internal temperature of 110˚F (for medium rare). Remove it from the oven and let it rest (loosely covered with foil) for 15 minutes.
6. Make the Pesto: Combine all the pesto ingredients in a blender. Blend to combine with as much water as needed for the blender to mix properly (we used a few tablespoons).
7. Slice the lamb and serve it atop the pesto.
Post your recipe or comment here: