Drink Pairing: Gruner Veltliner Wine
Ingredients: Makes 6 Servings
Tangerine Mustard Dipping Sauce:
2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs to scramble them, then mix them with the red fresno pepper sauce.
3. Put the flour in another small bowl, and the panko bread crumbs in a third small bowl.
4. Dip the quail pieces in the flour to coat, then the egg, then the panko bread crumbs.
5. Heat the duck fat in a large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced shallot and a pinch of salt. Saute for a minute.
6. Add the red cabbage, the honey wine vinegar and a generous amount of cracked black pepper. Saute the cabbage just until it starts to wilt.
7. Add the chicken stock, bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
8. Once the cabbage has been simmering for about 20 minutes, add the frisee.
9. Heat three inches of the high heat oil in a small, deep pot to 350 degrees. Fry the quail in it, a few pieces at a time, until browned and crispy. Remove it from the oil and put on a wire rack to drain. Skim out any breadcrumbs that have come off in the oil so they don’t burn.
10. Repeat with the rest of the quail until it is all fried.
11. Make the Sauce:
Add the chicken stock, tangerine juice, and tangerine zest. Simmer until the sauce has reduced by half, then stir in the mustard while continuing to reduce. Add the honey wine vinegar & salt to taste.
12. Layer tangerine wheels on plates. Top them with the braised cabbage, then top the cabbage with the fried quail. Serve the dipping sauce on the side.
Post your recipe or comment here: