Wild Ramp Pesto
Here we’re using ramps (wild leeks) in place of both the herbs and the garlic in pesto. It’s gorgeous, it’s got a really strong (delicious!) ramp flavor, but it doesn’t have much bite or spice because the ramps’ zing smoothes into the oil & cheese’s richness.
Drink Pairings: Chablis or Bonarda from Argentina
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Get an ice bath ready in a large bowl.
2. Add the ramps and blanch them for only 20 seconds.
3. Immediately move the ramps to the ice bath and swirl them to stop the cooking process.
4. Shake the water off the ramps. Roughly chop them and add them to a food processor along with the pine nuts, salt, cheese, black pepper and olive oil.
5. Run the food processor until the ingredients combine into a pesto.
6. Serve with pasta or on bruchetta (perhaps topped with cheese and/or bread crumbs & briefly broiled).