1 4-5 lb. fresh whole fish, cleaned and scaled, such as rainbow trout, striped bass or small salmon.
4 lbs. Kosher salt
2 egg whites
2 large sprigs fresh lemon thyme or regular thyme
• preheat oven to 475 degrees Fº
• rinse and pat dry your fish
• insert thyme and slices of lemon into the cavity of the fish (season cavity only)
• in a large mixing bowl, mix salt and egg whites until well incorporated
• on a large sheet pan, spread half of the salt mixture and lay the fish across ensuring the salt will encompass the entire fish
• pour the remaining salt on top of the fish and pack down
• put the fish in the oven: turn down the temperature to 400 degrees Fº
• the general rule is to cook the fish for 10 minutes for every inch of thickness the fish is at it’s thickest point
Let the fish cool for 2 minutes and then crack the coffin with a wooden spoon. Peel away the salt and remove the fish from the coffin. Place on a serving dish and dress with a flavorful E.V.O.O.
recipe, cooking and styling by Chris Tanghe