Truffled Roast Chicken Salad with a Warm Truffle Vinaigrette
Hearty, but not heavy, this is one of the most luxurious salad recipes we’ve developed. The star? seared & pan-roasted chicken breasts with a savory secret – slices of truffles embedded under the skin!
We used black summer truffle when developing this recipe, but it’d be even better with Burgundy or Perigord black truffles.
Wine Pairing: Barbera
Ingredients: Makes 2 Lunch Servings
2 Airline Chicken Breasts (could substitute boneless skin-on chicken breasts)
Black Truffle Salt (could substitute plain Salt)
1oz Fresh Black Truffle
2 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 tbsp Honey
4 cups Watercress
¼ cup Julienned Carrots
24 Croutons (preferably homemade)
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Push your fingers under the chicken skin to loosen it, then season the chicken under the skin with plenty of salt/truffle salt.
- Insert two thin slices of black truffle under the skin of each breast.
- Oil an oven-safe skillet or frying pan with high heat oil. Get the oil very hot over medium-high heat.
- Carefully lay in the chicken breasts, skin-side down, and sear them until the skin browns & crisps.
- Flip the chicken breasts skin-side up, and move the pan to the oven to roast.
- Roast until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 150-155°F.
- Remove the pan from the oven and the chicken from the pan. Put the chicken on a clean plate to rest.
- Mince the remainder of the black truffle.
- Cook the black truffle pieces in the residual chicken fat for a minute over medium heat.
- Pour the black truffle mixture into a blender with the vinegars, mustard, honey, a pinch of salt, the ¼ cup of olive oil, and the juices from the resting plate. Blend until a smooth vinaigrette forms.
- In a large bowl toss the watercress with the carrot, croutons, a pinch of salt (preferably truffle salt), and 2 tbsp of the truffle vinaigrette.
- Slice the chicken breasts on the bias & serve them with the watercress salad, drizzled with a little more of the truffle vinaigrette.