Saffron Rice & Chorizo Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
Sweet, tender Cornish game hens stuffed with saffron rice seasoned with chorizo, vegetables and raisins.
Wine Pairing: White Bordeaux
Ingredients: (Makes 4 Servings)
2 Whole Cornish Game Hens
4 Fresh Mint Leaves
2 tsp Unsalted Butter
1 cup Spanish Sweet Chorizo, chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Shallot, minced
2 tbsp Fresh Mint, chopped
½ cup Raisins
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
½ cup Onion, chopped
½ cup Celery, chopped
Saffron Rice Recipe (could substitute cooked & cooled Saffron Flavored Rice)
Recommended Side: Broiled Broccoli Recipe
1. Make the saffron rice and spread it out on a plate to cool.
2. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
3. In a frying pan combine the chorizo and tbsp of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the shallot and sauté until opaque.
4. Move the chorizo and shallot into a large bowl and stir in the saffron rice, mint, chicken stock and raisins.
5. Rinse & pat dry the game hens, season them with salt & pepper.
Gently pull the skin around the cavities up with your fingers and slide whole mint leaves and butter under it (2 leaves & 1 tsp of butter per bird).
Stuff the cavities with the chorizo stuffing mixture.
6. Put the onion and celery in a large oven-safe frying pan. Put the stuffed game hens on top of the vegetables and put the pan in the preheated oven.
7. Roast until the hens have browned and reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Discard the onions and celery from the pan. Serve the birds with your choice of sides.