Shellfish Faux Pho
Makes 6-8 Servings
This noodle soup was inspired by the ever popular Vietnamese classic: Pho. In fact, it was originally intended to be a pho recipe, but ended up being more mild than we’d hoped. Still, it’s quite tasty and soothing. The flavor of the herb-spice-beef bone broth is quite complex. Add to that fresh crisp herby garnishes, heat from the jalapenos (if desired) and sweet, tender shellfish, and you’ve got a tasty treat.
Fire roasting the ginger and yellow onions is a neat trick which brought out some previously hidden (and very intriguing) flavors that you’ve just got to try playing with at home.
Maybe we’ll take another crack at the elusive secrets of true pho broth sometime soon…
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 2” chunk Fresh Ginger
- 6 Whole Cloves
- 4 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 14oz Rice Noodles
- 2 stalks Fresh Lemongrass
- 1 4” Cinnamon Stick (Cassia)
- 3 Kaffir Lime Leaves (3 sets of paired leaves)
- 5 pieces of Whole Star Anise
- 6lb Beef Soup Bones, preferably with some meat attached (we used knuckle bones).
- 2lbs Live Mussels or Littleneck Clams (Quahogs)