Purple Rice Pudding w/ Mango & Coconut
Toasty, creamy, sweet, salty, nutty, fruity, tart – this Thai-inspired dessert is full of different flavors and textures. It’s a particularly nice finish to a meal featuring Southeast Asian flavors.
Drink Pairing: Off-dry Gewürztraminer Wine
Ingredients: Makes 6-8 Servings
2 cups Purple Sticky Rice, soaked in water overnight
1 whole Mango, cubed
1 can Coconut Milk
10.5 fl oz of Water
¼ cup Coconut Sugar
1 ½ tsp Red Boat Fish Sauce
¼ tsp Salt
Sesame “Granola” Topping:
2 tbsp White Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
½ tsp Salt
1. Don’t shake the can of coconut milk. Open it and carefully skim off the thickened cream on the top. Reserve the cream for garnishing.
2. Drain the water off the soaked rice.
3. In a deep pot combine the coconut milk, water, coconut sugar, salt, rice and fish sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cover the pot and let the rice simmer until tender (but still has a bit of a pop/snap to its texture – approx. 30 mins).
4. Make the Sesame Topping: While the rice is cooking, toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and aromatic.
Remove the pan from the heat & add the coconut sugar and ½ tsp of salt. Stir to combine.
5. Remove the lid from the rice, and continue to simmer, stirring, until the broth reduces (approx. 20 minutes) and the mixture has a porridge-esque consistency.