Gin, Pepper & Blueberry Shrub Cocktail
Fruity, tangy, and aromatic, this cocktail is topped with sparkling wine to make it a bit lighter & fizzy.
Ingredients: Makes 1 Cocktail (plus extra syrup)
Raw Sugar Base Syrup:
1 cup Raw (Demerara) Sugar
1 cup Water
Black Pepper Syrup:
½ cup Raw Sugar Simple Syrup (save the extra for other recipes)
1 tbsp Black Peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 1/2oz Gin (we used Voyager)
1/2oz Blueberry Shrub
Light 1/2oz Black Pepper Syrup
Light 1/4oz Lemon Juice
Brut Sparkling White Wine
Garnish: 12 Blueberries, Twist of Lime Zest
- Make the base syrup: combine the raw sugar & water in a small saucepan. Heat the water to a simmer, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Take a half cup of the resulting syrup and bring it to a simmer in a separate pot. Add the peppercorns and simmer 5-10 minutes, until you like the intensity of the flavor.
You can reserve the extra raw sugar syrup for other recipes, or multiply the pepper syrup recipe to use it all up.
- Combine in a mixing tin the gin, blueberry shrub, pepper syrup, lemon juice.
- Shake with ice to chill & combine.
- Double-strain into a martini glass.
- Top with sparkling wine.
- Gently plop in the blueberries. Garnish with the lime zest & serve.
Recipe by Laura Bishop
Cocktail & Beverage Recipes
Shrub & Drinking Vinegar Recipes