Japanese-Style Braised Iberico Pork Belly with Mustard Greens & Egg
Makes 6 Servings
This dish (called buta kakuni in Japanese) is classic Japanese comfort food – slow braised, ultra-tender pork belly in a sweet-savory sauce of ginger, sake & soy sauce, served with boiled egg, carrot & mustard. It’s easy, relaxing, and delicious.
Iberico Pork Belly, skin on
- 1 cup quarter-sized rounds of Fresh Ginger, skin on.
- 2/3 cup Sake
- Greens of 1 bunch of Scallions, cut into 1” lengths
- 4 cups Dashi Broth
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce (we used Aged Tamari for depth & to keep the recipe gluten free)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 bunch Mustard Greens, cleaned, center ribs removed & leaves roughly chopped
- 1 Whole Carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 Eggs, steamed for 9 minutes & peeled
- Mustard of Choice