Soaking live mussels in flour water cleans out any remaining grit, plumps up their meat, accentuates the meat’s color to make it more orange, and gives them a more creamy texture.
The mussels will eventually drown if left in flour water long enough, so you should only do this a few hours ahead of cooking them.
1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour per 2 quarts of Water
1. Whisk or blend together the flour and water until there are no lumps.
2. Scrub and de-beard your mussels if necessary.
3. Put the mussels in a deep bowl and cover them with the flour water mixture.
4. Soak in your refrigerator for 1-3hrs.
5. Rinse off the flour-water mixture before cooking the mussels.