Classic Dashi Recipe
We published the technique for making Japanese dashi (a seaweed & bonito broth that is an essential building block in Japanese cuisine) many years ago, but that recipe included dried mushrooms for extra umami. Here’s a more classic version.
8 cups Water
20g Kombu Kelp
30g Katsuobushi Bonito Fish Flakes
- Put the kombu in the water to a stove and steep it while heating the water just until it starts to bubble.
- Once it reaches a simmer, remove the kombu pieces (you can reserve them for use in other recipes).
- Add the katsuobushi flakes & continue to simmer for about five minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the pot sit until the fish flakes sink to the bottom (about 15 minutes).
- Strain out & discard the katsuobushi.
- Use in your recipes!
Sea Vegetable Recipes