Cherry Chutney Chard with Rice & Beans
Hearty, satisfying and vegetarian/vegan! This recipe is really more of an example designed to show you how easy it is to jazz up old standbys with the addition of a few dollops of fine preserves. Just a little bit of chutney brings a lot of flavor to sautéed greens.
Ingredients: Makes 4 Servings
½ cup Bing Cherry Chutney, plus extra for the plate
1 cup Rice (we used Camargue Red Rice)
9 oz Dried Beans, soaked(we used Giant Peruvian Lima Beans)
1 bunch Swiss Chard, cleaned & chopped
1 Garlic Clove, peeled
2 tbsp Olive Oil
½ tsp of Salt
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook the rice and beans as you normally would (times & liquid quantities will vary with the varieties used).
2. In a large frying pan over high heat, warm up the olive oil. When the olive oil starts to shimmer, add the garlic clove.
3. Stir the garlic clove around the oil, taking care not to burn it. Once the garlic clove is golden brown on all sides, remove it from the oil & discard.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chard and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chard starts to wilt.
5. Add the cherry chutney to the pan and continue to stir. When the chard is cooked the way you like it, take it off the heat.
6. Serve the chard with the beans, rice and an additional dollop of cherry chutney.