Heirloom Potato Gratin with Fresh Black Truffles
Everybody loves potatoes au gratin. Take it to stratospheric heights by adding shaved fresh black truffles.
2lbs Heirloom Potatoes (ideally a mix of colors)
Fresh Black Truffles (we used Fresh Burgundy Truffles)
Approx. 3 cups Heavy Cream
½ tsp minced Garlic
Salt & Pepper
Black Truffle Oil (optional)
Small ramekins for individual servings or 1 large ramekin for family-style service
1. Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
2. Cut the potatoes into ¼” slices (lengthwise). If you’ve got multiple colors of potatoes, put some of each color in each ramekin.
3. Once you’ve built a layer (layers) 3-slices thick, top with 1/4 tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp chopped garlic & 1 tsp salt (in total, distributed across all ramekins if doing individual servings).
4. Build another layer on top of the seasonings, season again with the same amount of salt, pepper and garlic.
5. Pour the cream in a pot and heat it, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil.
6. Put the ramekin(s) on a baking sheet. Pour in the cream, just until it comes almost to the top of the potatoes.
7. Move the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes).
8. Remove the gratin from the oven and shave black truffle over the top. Sprinkle on truffle oil and/or parsley if desired. Serve.
Fresh & Frozen Truffle Recipes
Heirloom Potato Recipes